Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sightseeing












So I learned a couple of lessons the hardway while here in India. First and foremost, listen to my Doctors orders. He informed me not to eat seafood while in India and I disregarded this sage advice and ate prawns. Big mistake. Deep fried seafood hasn't been a problem but with grilled seafood there is not way to ensure that the temperatures made it up to 170 degrees. Avoid seafood at all costs! I highly recommend azithromycin. Taking four of these and two Imodium AD's cleared up a bad case of travellors sickness and stopped the rapid weightloss from dehydration. In all, I lost 4 kilos in 48 hours from bad seafood. I have to state though that it is possible that it was not the seafood that made me sick and may have been the cafeteria food. I wouldn't recommend eating in cafeteria's in India. In my instance the food tasted fine but I question the sanitary storage since it is stored in large vats underneath the serving counter without additional heat. So my two lessons are both about food. Never eat seafood or eat in cafeterias while in India. Learn from my mistakes folks.
India is a beautiful country, I was able to see some sights in Delhi this weekend. There is a wealth of culture and tradition to be viewed, enjoyed, and absorbed within a quick drive from Noida. We called a radio cap that charges 15 rupees per/km and had him stay with us for the entire day; having the air conditioned car for a brief respite from the 100 degree heat is a must. Bring water with you when you go out on these trips or purchase bottled water from reputable vendors. I recommend Aquafina. If you want to be sure that the water is fresh and professionally bottled, look at the cap. The cap is stamped in ink with a date and some text, if the stamp above the break line, lines up with the stamp below the break line, then it is safe to assume that the water has been machine bottled in a plant.
Note that when sightseeing in India many of the tourist attractions have two prices, one for the locals, typically 10-20 rupees and one for foreigners, typically 250-350 rupees. It is a little frustrating to see the price differences but there are typically no waiting in the foreigners line and the cost is still quite reasonable at about $5-$7US. Note that if you bring a video camera there will be additional charges for filming however if you use a regular digital camera there is no additional charge. All of the tourist locations are securerly guarded so don't be surprised about the military watching and checking your activities.
Word of advice, the price in the shops will change from person to person. Best advice is to shop for the items you want and then have a local go back when you are not there and haggle the price down. Americans are not given the best prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment